Life Skills and Wellbeing
Curriculum subjects are extremely important but this time at home is the perfect opportunity to teach your children some essential life skills that will help them take on the big wide world. We know that there is going to be lots of time to fill during the day so these ideas should keep you busy!
Life skills ideas:
- Learn some basic first aid.
- Learn what it takes to run a house. Teach them about food shopping, cleaning, bills, mortgages/rent, cooking meals, washing and ironing.
- Learn how to manage time. Use a watch, alarm clock and daily planner to help children organise their time and complete tasks independently.
- Learn how to manage money. Teach your child the cost of different items and how to save and budget money.
- Learn basic cookery skills. Assist and teach your child how to make simple meals.
- Learn about recycling.
- Learn how to use a map.
- Learn about the emergency services and what you should do in an emergency.
- Learn about different jobs and the qualifications you need.
- Learn how to garden e.g. plant a seed or dig up weeds.
- Learn how to write a letter.
Our wellbeing and mental health is extremely important during this worrying time. We know and understand that learning from home can be overwhelming and a change of routine can be difficult.
The links below will give you ideas and activities for supporting your child's well being and mental health. Purple Watermelon is a fantastic website created by four Headteachers in Essex. Their website has lots of activities, videos and ideas on how to keep children (and parents) happy during this time.
Remember, if you need support, please refer to the COVID-19 page on our website for details